Armed with a self-help book, a lot of determination and hard work, three women, namely Betty Ann Jansson, Barbara Burke and Marge Leighton were granted a Federal Tax ID number and became a certified non-profit in 1979. Its mission for over 30 years has been to empower women who, no matter what their education, often earn less than men and are under-represented in many employment fields. In recent years with the economic down-turn Women At Work has broadened its mission to provide services to both men and women seeking work.
Women At Work is currently the only non-government bilingual (English/Spanish) career and job resource center serving Los Angeles County.
Women At Work values:
- Respect for individual skills, priorities and dreams.
- Responsiveness to job-seekers™ goals, employer needs and workforce trends.
- Empowerment to cultivate responsibility, self-determination and motivation.
- Innovation to create flexible, client-centered programs and opportunities that promote individual success.
- Community to form effective partnerships with employers and service organizations.
- Advocacy for issues that affect women at work.
- Access to our services for people of all economic, education and ethnic groups.