Website California Science Center Foundation
The California Science Center is an internationally recognized leader in informal science education. Our mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. Learn more at: californiasciencecenter.org.
King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh makes its world premiere at the California Science Center on March 24, 2018! The exhibition includes an exquisite collection of real artifacts from the Boy King’s tomb, many of which King Tut himself used in life and in death, including gold jewelry, colossal sculpture and gilded furniture. Guests will explore the story told by these priceless objects and learn what science has revealed about King Tut’s life and death.
About the Job
Hosts serve as the frontline resource for California Science Center guests. To ensure an optimum guest experience, Hosts are expected to interact with all constituents. While their main function is to influence the overall guest experience, Hosts also protect our visitors, collections and property. Hosts support our mission to “stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences.” In addition to ensuring that guests’ needs are met, Host duties also include patrolling exhibition areas, as well as the movement of staff/visitors/assets and responding to emergencies according to defined procedures. Hosts are stationed in exhibition areas, including the IMAX Theater, and their efforts are coordinated through the leads, supervisors and Guest Services Management Team.
You are a highly passionate customer service professional eager to join our team in advancing our mission with the following qualifications:
- Possess High School diploma or equivalent.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to verbally greet and interact with all guests in a friendly, professional manner.
Ability to memorize and present science content to guests.
- Ability to share information regarding exhibits, programs and facilities with guests.
- Ability to utilize problem solving skills to resolve guest needs and complaints.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for 8 hour work shift.
- Ability to adhere to workplace schedule; possess a strong record for attendance and punctuality.
- To remain an active employee for the California Science Center Foundation, you must be able to work an 8-hour shift between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., a minimum of 3 days per week, for the duration of the exhibit (March 24, 2018 – January 6, 2019).
- Possess 1+ years of customer/guest service experience.
- Possess college background in science, education, theater or related field.
- Possess experience in teaching or working with the public in an informal education/public setting.
- Possess verbal bilingual skills in both English and one of the following: Korean, Japanese, Chinese or American Sign Language.
- Possess “open availability” to work any 8-hour shift, Monday – Sunday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.; possessing the ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and evenings.
- Ability to lift, carry, pull and/or push a minimum of 20 pounds.
Major Job Responsibilities
- Enhance the guest experience by continuously initiating museum related, educational or helpful interactions with guests.
- Verbally communicate with guests using a friendly, helpful tone to ensure you are being responsive to their needs.
- When a guest expresses an interest in a particular area, share information about that area verbally or through hands-on demonstrations or literature.
- Use non-verbal communication skills such as positive body language (smiling, eye contact, good posture) to greet all guests and to encourage interactions.
- Promote the California Science Center’s educational programming, donation-based admission, IMAX Theater, Attractions and Membership offerings.
- Explain interactive exhibits to all audiences using appropriate equipment.
- Maintain a clean work area and report maintenance or cleanliness issues to management.
- Observe, detect and report potential hazards and/or damage/injury to guests, staff and property.
- Practice safe working habits; follow standard operating procedures for all work areas.
- Follow emergency procedures as necessary; respond to alarms according to established guidelines and assist with evacuating staff and guests; bring crisis situations to the attention of a manager or supervisor immediately.
- Provide proper use and safekeeping of California Science Center assets including radios, keys, clipboards and other equipment.
- Practice open communication by keeping Management Team informed of internal and external issues affecting the California Science Center.
- Perform other duties as required.
$12.00 per hour.
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://californiasciencecenter.org/about/employment-opportunities →