Website California Science Center Foundation
The California Science Center is an internationally recognized leader in informal science education. Our mission is to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone, by creating fun, memorable experiences. Learn more at: californiasciencecenter.org.
King Tut: Treasures of the Golden Pharaoh makes its world premiere at the California Science Center on March 24, 2018! The exhibition includes an exquisite collection of real artifacts from the Boy King’s tomb, many of which King Tut himself used in life and in death, including gold jewelry, colossal sculpture and gilded furniture. Guests will explore the story told by these priceless objects and learn what science has revealed about King Tut’s life and death.
About the Job
Sales Associate, deliver exceptional customer service as the frontline interface between Retail Operations (ExploraStore, Endeavour Store, Satellite Stores, IMAX Concession Stand and Mobile Retail Carts) and guests. To perform the essential job functions of this position, Sales Associates must be friendly, outgoing and upbeat while they greet, wait on, serve and handle guest purchase transactions. They provide insightful knowledge about the products and services offered within all Retail Operations areas. Sales Associate also assist with the receiving, processing and pricing of product shipments, as well as the preparation, stocking, arranging and displaying of merchandise and food product. Sales Associates are also responsible for the daily clean up and maintenance of the Retail Operations areas.
You are a highly passionate customer service professional eager to join our team in advancing our mission with the following qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Competency in cash register and inventory skills.
- Must possess good communication and customer service skills.
- Strong proficiency in basic math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Honest, energetic, hardworking, reliable, detail-oriented with good basic problem solving skills.
- Friendly outgoing personality with strong organizational, interpersonal skills with an ability to relate to persons of all ages and diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to perform the following physical activities with or without reasonable accommodations: ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds and climb ladders as needed.
- Ability to walk and/ or stand for an 8 hour shift.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and some evenings, as required.
- Ability to adhere to workplace schedule; by maintaining an exceptional attendance and punctuality record.
- To remain an active employee for the California Science Center Foundation, you must be able to work a minimum of 3 full days per week, for the entire duration of the Special Exhibition.
Major Job Responsibilities
As members of the Retail Operations team, every Sales Associate I is expected to be proficient and available to work in all areas managed by the Retail Operations Department. Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Politely greet, wait on and serve guests.
- Accurately and proficiently use a Point Of Sales cash register to handle guest purchase transactions, handle cash and provide accurate change.
- Provide friendly service to ensure the delivery of a high quality positive memorable experience to all California Science Center guests.
- Handle guest relations concerns in a professional, polite, courteous and constructive manner.
- Patrol and monitor guest traffic flow in the sales areas in order to provide excellent service, reduce shrinkage and ensure a safe and pleasant shopping environment.
- Study and learn about the products and services offered within the Retail Operations
- Department in order to provide knowledgeable information to our guests.
- Assist with the receiving, unpacking, packing, processing, preparation and pricing of retail merchandise as well as the proper sanitary preparation and clean-up of resale food products and shipments.
- Maintain merchandise displays while stocking-out product from the stockroom to the sales floor fixtures.
- Follow all health code regulations when preparing food in the concession stand.
- Assist and participate in the organization, maintenance and cleaning of departmental warehouse areas including the ExploraStore and IMAX Concession Stand stockrooms.
- Clean and maintain departmental common areas that includes, but is not limited to: (a) picking up fallen products and debris from the sales areas and stockrooms, (b) clean and dust merchandise, fixtures and equipment, (c) clean glass shelving and windows, (d) vacuum and spot clean carpet, (e) sweep and mop floors, (f) Properly wash and sterilize food handling utensils and equipment according to departmental and Health Code Standards, (g) etc.
- Arrive for your shift on time the days you’re scheduled to work to ensure adequate operations and customer service.
- Utilizes excellent communication and verbal skills, including good telephone and radio etiquette, to conveying pertinent information to our guest, management staff and fellow team member to ensure information is received clearly and accurately.
- Perform other duties as required.
The Sales Associate I is responsible for performing all duties in a safe, accurate, effective and professional manner within the guidelines established by the Supervisory and Management Team.
$12.00 per hour.
Applicants must include at least one (1) professional reference from a past employer who can speak about their past attendance.
You must include a cover letter and resume to apply for this position. Applications or resumes without a cover letter will not be considered. The cover letter must answer the following 2 questions.
- Why is excellent customer service important for driving sales in a retail store?
- What are some examples of what you did to maintain exceptional attendance with your past employer?
Send Cover Letter, Resume, Salary Target and Job Application to the HR Dept. via fax at 213-744-2673, email to HR@cscmail.org, or mail to the California Science Center Foundation, H. R. Dept, 700 Exposition Park Dr., Los Angeles, CA 90037. Only applications that include a cover letter, resume, salary target and completed job application will be considered. No phone calls please. EOE.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org